23 April 2008

Happy Birthday Cali

My little baby girl is One Year Old today!!! Happy Birthday Cali!!!

A friend of mine told me that it's a tradition in their family for the mom to tell the story of the child's birth on the first birthday. My family already knows my tale, so I thought I'd share it with you and tell you a little about my little girl.

Sunday, April 22, 2007: I was coaching a volleyball tournament in Corvallis, Oregon. After the tournament was over, Marcus and I packed up our little bags, left Austin with my parents, and headed to the hospital. It was one week before my due date, but I had requested to have Cali early and since Austin was almost 9lbs at birth, my doctor thought it best to induce as well. There were other factors though too; I had a low lying placenta that she was concerned about, I didn't go into labor on my own with Austin and was probably going to need some help anyway, and if I did go into labor on my own, she was afraid that I would end up delivering in my bathtub because of the speed of my first delivery. (3 pushes!) So, late that Sunday night I was given a devil drug that began the process (I was not dialating or effacing on my own). We slept for a bit, but that soon ended.
Early Monday morning my doctor came in to check on me. I was a whole 1 centimeter!! Woohoo! As sweet as she is, she decided to break my water....I love her, I just have to keep reminding myself that. Breaking my water set me into even harder contractions. Not too long after this blessed event, I decided that I should probably use the bathroom one last time. Yeah right! I didn't even make it to the bathroom. Luckily I made it to a chair, sat down, and tried to breathe. I felt so sick, but the idiot nurse that I had didn't do much for me, so I threw up all over the floor...clean that up, punk! teehee... I was feeling a little better so I went back to the bed (I never did get to use the bathroom again). That long walk got to me and I was ready to blow again...my husband is awesome and made it just in time with a trash can.
My doc came back to check on me again after the throw up was all cleaned up, lucky girl, and I was ready for my epidural. I didn't get an epidural with Austin, so I was a little nervous, but it was fantastic!! The epidural came around 10:30am, just in time. About an hour later I was just about ready to get that little child OUT! My doctor didn't think it would all happen that fast, but if she would have listened to me from the beginning, she would have known better. By noon she was scrubbed and ready to go. Marcus was even ready to help. Everything was set. She warned me that with an epidural I might not be able to get this baby out as easily as I got Austin out....HAHAHA!!! Two contractions later, Cali joined us in the world. The doctor got the head out and Marcus got to catch the rest of her. And since we didn't know ahead of time if she was a boy or a girl, he got to tell the world, "It's a Girl!!!" It was awesome!!
23 April 2007 at 12:18 pm Cali Brianne McCabe was born. She was 8lbs 4oz and 19.5 inches long. She came out with a full head of black hair and was as sweet as she could be.

Now that she's a year old and I've gotten to know her a little bit more, she's a lot like her mommy. She's definitely got her own personality and she knows what she wants, and will do whatever necessary to get it. She is very observant and just loves to sit and look out the window or be outside and watch the trees. She also loves to play race cars with Austin and they chase each other around. She's still not walking yet, but I'm sure it will be soon. She still only has 2 little teeth on the bottom, but I know there are more coming VERY soon....her top gums are practically white! Poor Baby. She is a lot like her big brother in many ways, but very much her own little person already. She's awesome and I couldn't imagine life without her.



Happy Birthday Cali!!!

4 people care:

Tara said...

Wow I can't believe she is already a year old! That is crazy. She is so darling Brianne!

Geeze you better get induced with your next child as well or it sounds like you may not make it to the hospital! At least they come out easy for ya huh?!

Abby said...

She was a really pretty baby most are just cute!
Happy Birthday Cali!

Alifinale said...

I can't believe she is 1 either! She is a doll. Now we need some pics of her eating cake. I love 1 yr birthdays!

Ilene said...

She's still so PRETTY! She looked like such a little doll when she was little. Still does!