17 April 2008

Our Weekend Update

My dad was in town this past weekend from California. We haven't seen him since we visited his house over Thanksgiving. It's always good to see my dad! He came Thursday afternoon and we had the whole weekend planned.
Thursday night, first things first, we had some crawfish for dinner. When we used to live in Texas we would eat crawfish quite often, but since moving back we haven't really had that many opportunities to have much crawfish. There's an actual "crawfish season" and apparently we're in it, so we have to eat as much as we can until it ends. Kind of like hunting. Marcus feels the need to do as much hunting as possible during hunting season, so we eat as much crawfish as possible during crawfish season. (I say "we" but you really have to see my husband eat crawfish and you would understand that it's just him.) Anyway, when we used to live here, my dad had visited one time during crawfish season, so, of course, we went with Marcus' family to eat crawfish at an all-you-can-eat crawfish buffet....oh my goodness!! I've never seen so much crawfish before in my life. I think I'll save that whole experience for another blog sometime soon....during crawfish season, of course.
Friday I had to go to a volleyball tournament to coach. I was planning on us playing in the morning and being back that afternoon, but we ended up getting the pm shift so we didn't even start playing until 3:30pm and I didn't get home until about 10pm. The trouble with that situation was that we had 4 tickets to the Rockets vs Suns NBA game and since I couldn't go, my ticket was given to a friend. That Sucked!! But whatever. The next problem was that Marcus and my dad were leaving for the game before I got home from my volleyball tournament. He asked his dad if he wanted the fourth ticket, since another guy backed out, and asked if my mother-in-law could come to watch the kids. So, in the end it all worked out.
Saturday was supposed to be a relaxed day without the men because they were leaving at 7am to go fishing. Marcus got a phone call around 5:30am (thank you very much). It was the guy that was supposed to take them out fishing in the bay. I guess my dad brought a little too much wind with him and they couldn't go fishing. Every time my dad has come to visit us...EVERY time...we have planned a fishing trip for him and something has gone wrong. Even in Oregon. I guess he's not meant to fish with Marcus or something. I felt so bad for them all, but what can you do? It was just too windy. It was such a bummer.
Sunday was nice. Church in the morning, naps in the afternoon, movie and ice cream that night. Enough said.
Monday we decided to head to the Houston Zoo (that's what the pictures are from if you couldn't tell). I've been there once before, but it was really windy and Cali was sick so we weren't there very long and it wasn't that great of an experience. This time the weather was just about perfect, Cali was SO excited when we saw any animal, and we had to hurry towards the end of the day because we had been there so long, but we still had more to see before we had to leave. It was great!
My dad left this afternoon. It's always great to have him visit, but in reality, it's great to see him go. I could tell that he was getting a little restless and antsy to get home, back to work and normal activity. We are too. When someone comes to visit nothing is normal. Our schedule's out of whack and nothing gets done around the house. I've already been doing laundry and picking things up and getting them back to "normal". Don't get me wrong, I love when family comes to visit, but it's definitely nice when they leave. :)

2 people care:

Abby said...

I love your dad! He makes me laugh! Tell him I said hello.

LeaAnne said...

I am glad that you got to spend a little time with your Dad! Even if it did not go as planed, I am sure it was still great!